In memory of Ella

Anne with NeuRA Sign

Anne Tunks

The NeuRA Memory Cycle Challenge appealed to me because I felt it ticked a number of boxes. I needed a new “project” as my son had finished school the previous year, I was looking for the motivation to increase my fitness and, as a very occasional cyclist, I thought this would be a great way to see a country.

My Mum, Ella, had also passed away from Alzheimer’s disease some years before, so NeuRA’s research aims were very close to my heart.

The main concern I had was the fundraising as this was something I’d not done before and I was a little daunted at the prospect of needing to raise $3500. As it turned out, this was not the problem I anticipated. Having the very helpful staff and resources of the Inspired Adventures team, and an enthusiastic friend who sat down and brainstormed various fundraising ideas with me, made the target seem quite achievable. And in the end, thanks to a very supportive group of family, friends and work colleagues, and the good fortune to secure two Saturday bbqs at the local Bunnings, I managed to raise almost $9000 for NeuRA plus about $1500 towards my travel costs.

Group Shot

The NeuRA Memory Cycle Challenge group

Probably one of the best aspects of the experience was travelling with a group of like-minded people who shared a common bond in committing to the trip to raise money and awareness for a cause. With a group of 17, there was always someone interesting to talk to and I enjoyed finding out what had motivated my fellow travellers to undertake the challenge. And then the trip itself was probably one of the most amazing experiences of my life! So many interesting places to see, wonderful and inspiring local guides, and the food and accommodation surpassed all my expectations. It was wonderful at the end of an often hot and gruelling ride to come back to our lovely hotels and be introduced to some wonderful local places (and dishes!) to eat.

Would I recommend it to someone – absolutely! Through the Memory Cycle challenge, I was able to share an amazing experience of countries I may not otherwise have seen in the company of an inspiring group of people and, in the process, got fitter than I’ve ever been and raised money for an incredible cause. In terms of life experiences, it will certainly be hard to beat!

UntitledJoin the Discovery Great Wall of China Trek with NeuRA!

In April 2016, you too could be doing something extraordinary.

Imagine climbing onto the Great Wall to see it stretch across the mountain tops as far as the eye can see, and trekking the unrestored, remote sections of the wall, unseen by many.

Each day you will feel incredible as you conquer the wall with your team of like-minded people, all whilst supporting research at NeuRA.

Click here to read the itinerary and find out more about this adventure-of-a-lifetime or call Lucy on 1300 905 188 to find out more.

Come along to a China Discovery Trek information night on May 20 at NeuRA. Please RSVP here